Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Why I’m Giving You My “Aftermath Contacts” Form

I realize that going to the range and shooting your gun is the fun and exciting part of gun ownership. However, I think more attention needs to be paid to what happens if you ever have to use your gun in an actual self-defense shooting. For example, what happens when police arrive? Should you talk to them? Are they going to arrest you?

Personally, I’ve spent a lot of time and money with my lawyer getting these exact questions answered and I recommend that all gun owners do the same and at the very least, have a lawyer you can call. However, if you’re ever in a self-defense shooting you might not have your lawyer’s phone number handy and your loved ones might not know who to contact either.

That’s why I created the “aftermath contact” form…


You see, the reason people like you and me own guns is because we’re intelligent enough to realize it’s a form of insurance. Of course, we pray our house never burns down, or we never get in a car crash or someone never tries to kill us. But we’ve got insurance for all three.

And the “aftermath contact” form is part of my insurance and part of being prepared so that if I ever have to defend myself with a firearm, my loved ones know exactly who to call and what to do.

So let’s get to exactly what this form is: In short, it’s a simple document that is kept in one or more safe locations where my family members can access it. The first item on the form is my lawyer’s complete contact information. This includes his phone number and email address.

The second item…

Is the contact information of the expert witness that I plan to use along with his phone number and email address. However, my family has been instructed to give this information to my lawyer so that he can call the expert witness. My family is not to call them on their own.

Next, they are supposed to have my lawyer contact a private investigator and to have that investigator go to the scene and take pictures. My family is also instructed to go and take pictures if at all possible.

I also have a place to put the name of a close friend or family member to come and be with my wife to comfort her and be with her as she’s doing all of this. After that is a place to contact someone to start arranging bail. Perhaps you have a wealthy family member or friend or someone you know who could lend you a large amount of money at a moment’s notice. If you don’t know anyone who could come up with a lot of money then this form also has place to put the information of several bail bondsmen.

And because I believe this form is so important and it only takes a few minutes to fill out, I’ve attached a blank copy to this page for you. Print it off, fill it out, and store it in a safe place. You’ll hopefully never need it, but at least your family knows what to do if you ever have to use deadly force to defend your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment