Tuesday, June 26, 2012


Running With Your Gun

Running With Your Gun

When I was with the Agency I was probably in the best shape of my life. However, these days I still run over 2 miles every morning, but that’s about it. I don’t lift weights or do any other exercises.

The truth is, I don’t even like running. I know some folks who are all into running and sign up for marathons and the whole nine yards, but not me. I only run because I feel like it gives me energy for the rest of my day and helps me be more productive.

Of course, when it comes to running one of the most common questions I get asked is what do I do with my gun? Well, for running, I believe there are two really good options. The first option is the fanny pack. My wife likes the fanny pack, however I do not use this option and don’t plan to anytime soon. But if that’s the only way you can carry a gun when you’re exercising, by all means do it.

The Belly Band…

When I’m running my 2 miles every morning I use a Belly Band. If you’re not familiar with the Belly Band it’s basically a long elastic band that you put around your waist. It has a space for your gun and a space for your magazine.

The Belly Band goes underneath your shirt, so you need to make sure to wear a loose fitting shirt so the gun won’t print through. In other words, the super tight spandex shirts won’t cut it if you’re wearing a Belly Band.

Also, when it comes to the location of where to actually wear the band I’ve seen people wear it a million different ways and it’s all up to you. Some folks wear the band around their hips right at the waistline and prefer to carry the gun in the “appendix” position.

I don’t like to do this…

Because I don’t think it’s a good idea to have the gun pointing at my body and legs. Other people like to carry the gun at their waistline in the 3 o’ clock traditional position. This is more where I prefer to carry it.

One of the most important factors you need to consider when choosing a position is how easily can you access the gun? If I were you, I would put on the Belly Band and with a safe and empty weapon, practice your draw a few times. If you’re having trouble getting the gun out, you need to try something different.

Also, if you choose to use the Belly Band, you don’t want to let the world know you’re carrying a gun. I’ve known people who like to touch the gun every two seconds just to make sure it’s there. This is a dead giveaway you’re carrying a gun, so resist the temptation. (Resist this temptation no matter where you’re carrying the gun.)


Lastly, I’ve attached a picture to show you what the Belly Band looks like with the Ruger LCP that I run with. I’ve put the band on over my shirt and a little higher on my body just to make things easier.

Stay safe while exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment