Thursday, January 3, 2013


Top 8 New Year’s Resolutions

I hope you’re having a wonderful New Year’s Day. In a minute I’m heading out to the range to try out some of my Christmas gifts, but I wanted to send you this first. 

Like many people, I sit down at the beginning of the year and make resolutions and goals for the year ahead. I thought I’d share with you a few resolutions/goals that every gun owner may want to consider for 2013.

1. Go to the shooting range more. I realize we all have busy schedules, but pick a specific time and day you’ll go to the range and put it on your calendar. For instance, if you’re going to go once a month then go on the third Tuesday of each month at 10am. If you can go weekly, then go every Friday at 6pm. It doesn’t matter who you are, all of us can use more practice.

2. Invite someone to go to the range with you. Maybe you have a liberal friend who doesn’t like guns, or perhaps someone who’s interested in guns but still scared of them. I have found no better way to show someone how enjoyable shooting is than by inviting them to the range, which often creates a life long shooter.

3. Go to at least one training class this year. My friend Massad Ayoob likes to say that instead of spending money on multiple guns, why not use some of that money for training instead. So this year make it your goal to attend at least one pistol or rifle or shotgun class. Plan ahead and schedule that class soon that way you actually make the time to attend it.

4. Find the right gear for you. If you have a gun that you don’t carry around often because you find it uncomfortable, then take the time to find the right one for you this year. Luckily, this is easy to do by going to the range, renting a bunch of guns and finding the one you like best. In addition to getting the right gun, take the time to find the right holster too.

5. Dry fire more. If you’re not happy with your draw stroke, or trigger press then spend a few minutes each week safely dry firing. I spend about 10-15 minutes each day dry firing and the secret to sticking to this is to dry fire at the exact same time each day. (Just remember to have a safe backstop, such as the bulletproof panel that I’ve tacked up on my own wall.)

 6. Think more. Most people don’t think at all these days and simply go through their daily motions like drones. So what should you think about? Well, obviously, I’m biased to thinking about safety. For instance, think about your home security. Is there anything you know you should do to make your home more “intruder proof?” Also, think while you’re going about your daily routine. If you go to the same coffee shop each morning and sit in the same place, how would you react if one day someone suddenly stormed in and started shooting? And think more about gun safety in general. Are all of your guns locked up in your house in quick-access safes? And when you clean your guns do you do it in a room where no live ammunition is present? Think, think, think.

7. Join the NRA or renew your membership. I recently saw a statistic that said there are 100 million Americans who own guns, yet only 4 million members of the NRA. The truth is, I don’t always agree with everything the NRA does, but they are the 800-pound gorilla and they are fighting for our 2nd Amendment rights. That’s why I’m happy to be a member and to contribute my dues to them each year. So for 2013, please join or renew your NRA membership, you can even do it right here.
  

8.  Figure out a way to convince your spouse that you need more guns and that they’re more important than shoes, clothes, and all of those baby items that I know my baby doesn’t need. Case in point: Why does my kid need 15 different pairs of shoes to match her every outfit? She can’t even walk and they pretty much fall off every time we go out and then when I lose the one shoe we have to buy another pair that she will outgrow in about 2.5 seconds. (I have a feeling #8 will be a New Year’s resolution I will be working on for life.)

I hope you have a wonderful New Year and that 2013 is safe and full of prosperity for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment