Monday, March 25, 2013


What Constitutional Carry Really Means…

Last week, the state of Utah passed a constitutional carry bill, which says a person can carry a concealed handgun without needing a permit. Once this bill got passed I heard from a few instructors who were afraid they were going to go out of business because nobody would take their classes anymore.

Obviously, they hadn’t bothered to read the bill. The bill passed by the state of Utah says that a person can carry a concealed handgun as long as the gun is unloaded. In other words, Utah passed a virtually worthless bill.

As I’ve said many times before during my training courses…

It is pointless to carry concealed if you don’t have a round in the chamber. I’m pretty sure the next time you’re at an ATM machine, some guy isn’t going to tap you on the shoulder and say “Hey, I just wanted to let you know that in about 10 seconds, when you’re walking to your car, I’m going to pull out a knife and try and stab and rob you, so you might want to load your gun now.”

In reality, attacks happen fast and you won’t have time to chamber a round. In fact, according to the FBI, the average gunfight lasts 4 seconds. Also, according to the FBI, 95% of gunfights happen within 7 yards. That means your gun better come out fast because your attacker will be close to you. 

Another reason I’m not a huge fan of constitutional carry is…

It doesn’t do you any good when you travel. If you want to travel to Idaho or Arizona or Florida you need to have your Utah concealed carry permit because obviously those states want to make sure you are certified by your own state since they are granting reciprocity.

I guess the bottom line is if you want to walk around with an unloaded gun and you never plan to leave your state, then constitutional carry is for you. As for me, I’m happy with my multiple concealed carry permits that allow me to travel to every state that I actually want to visit.

I will admit that it would be nice if in my lifetime we get to a point when we have a national permit that is recognized in all 50 states. But the only way that’s going to happen is if California breaks off into the ocean and states like Maryland, Hawaii, and New York vanish somehow too. (If it happens, I will miss my in-laws.)

But for now, get multiple permits and please understand the laws when it comes to the permits. What I mean is, I’m sure there are going to be a number of Utahans walking around with loaded guns and no permit because they heard constitutional carry got passed and they didn’t read the law that says the gun must be unloaded.

So even if you don’t live in Utah, it’s wise to take a few minutes and Google your state’s government website (for instance, Virginia concealed carry) and make sure you understand the laws.

No comments:

Post a Comment