Tuesday, April 2, 2013


If You’re Over 55, Please Hand in Your Guns

This past week I got a letter in the mail from a gentleman named Kurt who lives in Florida. Kurt took my concealed carry course and wrote to me, “In April I will be 86 years old, just recently bought my first firearm… I appreciate what you’re doing and I wish you well.”

I appreciated Kurt’s letter and wanted to mention it for a few reasons. First, I think it’s great he got his permit and now has a gun… it’s never too late to gain firearms knowledge. It also reminds me of a question I’ve had throughout the years: “Am I too old to get a gun?”

Personally, I believe you’re never too old, as long as the “hamster is still functioning properly on the wheel.” In other words, it doesn’t matter if you’re 21 or 91, as long as you can properly manipulate the gun and are of sound mental health, then by all means get one.

However, if you’ve been paying attention to the news lately, you know that the UN doesn’t agree with me. As you’re aware, the United Nations is the group of politicians that… well… talk a lot and don’t really do much. (Sounds like another group of politicians I know.) But in the UN Arms Treaty that’s now being drafted, they want a section that essentially says elderly people can’t own guns and they need to be disarmed.

And no, this isn’t a joke.

Why do they want this? Well, I’ll let a doctor from Johns Hopkins tell you: “Therefore, as we enter our twilight years – clinically speaking, age 50 and above [Global life expectancy is only 67 years] – science tells us that we are in no shape to be handling or using a deadly weapon.”

Basically, the doctor and the UN believe that if you’re over 50 you ought to turn in your guns. So what does the doctor suggest you protect yourself with instead? You’re going to love this: He recommends a rape whistle. So as some home intruder is kicking down your front door about to invade your home and do who knows what to your family, just blow loud on the whistle.

Once again, this doctor and the UN’s advice proves that “common sense is the most uncommon of the senses,” and that as the world gets more and more “screwed up” it’s common sense that is going to keep you alive and well.

So it doesn’t matter what age you are, you simply need to take the time to make sure you can operate your gun and you need to get to the range and practice with it. I realize we all have busy schedules, but you should be able to make it to the range once a month and at the very least every other month (that’s only 6 times a year.)

Also, not that the UN Arms Treaty has a chance of going through, but if it did I’m sure our wonderful politicians would insert the following clause: “All people over 55 must turn over their guns, except my bodyguards~ Signed B. Obama… And mine too. ~ Signed D. Feinstein.”

No comments:

Post a Comment