Monday, January 27, 2014

3 Guns from SHOT Show


Last week was the annual Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade (SHOT) Show. To give you an idea of what it’s like, just imagine a chocolate lover getting to spend the week in Willy Wonka’s factory.

Over 1,600 companies exhibited this year and there were over 65,000 attendees. I divided my time between work and checking out new products, especially the new guns.

Like everyone at SHOT, I checked out the new Glock 42, which is chambered in .380. I’m a huge Glock fan and own multiple Glocks. One of the guns I carry most often is a Glock 19. However, I’m not impressed with the Glock 42 and wished they would have made it smaller, more along the lines of the Ruger LCP.

Like many folks have said, if I wanted to carry a gun that size I’d just carry a 9mm. But despite what I think, I’m sure the gun will sell like crazy and hopefully Glock will come out with a smaller version in the future.

I was more impressed with the Beretta Pico, which is also a .380.  

The Beretta Pico has been on the cover of almost every gun magazine known to man, but is still not available for sale. I’ve been told the Pico will be available to the public around April.

What I like about the Pico is that it’s about the same size as the LCP and it comes with real sights. It felt great in my hand and I look forward to shooing one when I get the chance. If all goes well, the Pico may replace my LCP as my new favorite pocket gun.

Another gun that impressed me during SHOT was the Beretta ARX100. This is Beretta’s new version of the modern sporting rifle. In other words, it’s trying to replace the AR-15 as the rifle of the future.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the ARX100 was how much lighter it is than my AR. Most of the ARX100 is polymer, which is why it was light and why it would be more comfortable to carry in the field or at a multiple day rifle course.

With the ARX100, you have the ability to change barrels to multiple calibers. Eventually, you’ll be able to swap out barrels and be able shoot 5.56, .308, and .300 Blackout.

And if you happen to be a lefty, you’ll love the fact that the charging handle on the gun can be moved from one side to the other very easily. The Beretta salesman showed me how to move it in about 10 seconds.

Unfortunately, like the Pico, the ARX100 isn’t available yet. I was told it should also be ready around the April timeframe and this may be the next rifle I add to my arsenal.

Of course, there were dozens more guns released this year, but these were three of the most popular. If you have the chance to attend next year’s SHOT Show, I highly recommend it. But, do yourself a favor before you go inside and give yourself a limit on how much money you’ll spend (trust me on this one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment