Thursday, July 7, 2011

How to Find Out If You Carry Wisely

Now, I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know it all. One of the beauties of teaching concealed carry classes is that I’m constantly learning from other people. They’ll tell me about a new gun I haven’t heard of or a new type of flashlight or any number of new accessories.

Anyway, recently I had a fellow argue with me about carrying a 1911 “cocked and locked” and how he said he would never do it because it’s dangerous. (If you’re not familiar with what that means it means you have a round in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the safety is on.)

If by chance…

You happen to agree with this guy let me show you why you’re nuts and if you don’t agree with this guy let me show you why it will save your life one day. First off, if you carry a firearm concealed you’re carrying it because you want to be able to protect yourself, right?

Well… when it comes to a deadly force situation it usually happens instantly. You’ll have nanoseconds to draw your gun to take care of the threat. That’s one of the main reasons I wear an inside the waistband holster. In my opinion that’ll give you the quickest draw. (Yes, I know that open carry is quicker, but I’m not a fan of open carry, to say the least.)

I don’t recommend shoulder holsters and I certainly don’t recommend an ankle holster for your primary gun (backup only) because they take way too long to draw. Again, if the stuff ever hits the fan you want to draw quickly.

Maintaining our “quickly” theme…

When you draw you want to simply be able to pull the trigger and have it go “boom.” The last thing in the world you want to do is have to rack the slide and chamber a round. Yes, there are professionals out there who can do this lighting fast, but for 99% of gun owners having to rack a round will likely be a death sentence in a deadly force situation.

I tried to explain all of this to the guy, but of course he wouldn’t listen. Then I went on and told him to get another gun besides a 1911 such as a Glock. He told me that he thought Glock’s were even worse because they don’t have any safeties at all and he would never, ever carry a round in the chamber.

I guess the good thing is, if you or I ever come against this guy (or others who think like him) we’ll have a much quicker draw while he’s trying to rack a round in the chamber. Heck, it would be nice if criminals thought like these guys, but I have a feeling criminals aren’t worried too much about safety.

The bottom line is, if you’re carrying a gun for personal protection carry it wisely. Don’t put yourself at a disadvantage by not having a round in the chamber or by wearing an ankle holster that you have to bend all the way over to draw from. In other words, don’t be foolish when your life depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment